While using Reliance NetConnect USB Modem for my daily and official requirements, I many a times was required to work on two laptops. Having a single Internet connection could have been hindrance had it not been a feature present in Windows 7 to share the Internet.
To enable Internet Sharing of USB Modem in Windows 7, follow the steps:
1. Navigate to system tray click on the arrow button to show the list of available processes and tasks.
2. Select the Internet access from the list available and click on Open Network & sharing Center. (You may also reach here via Control Panel)
3. From the Left side pane, select manage Wireless Networks
4.Select the Add option in the Manage Wireless Networks Window.
5. From the Manually connect to a wireless network pop up window, select Create an Ad hoc network.
6. Click next after reading details about wireless ad-hoc network.
7. Configure Ad-hoc network. Enter desired network name, security type and security key.
8. Make sure you select an encryption type. Make the security type WEP and password protect it using 5 or 13 character key.
9. Click on Turn on Internet Connection sharing to share the internet.
10. Internet Sharing is enabled. Press Okay to proceed. You have now enabled WiFi connection from your laptop available to other users.
To connect to your system’s internet one must simply locate and select the network just created and connect using the encryption security key as entered.
11. Once done, you may remove the adhoc network from Manage Wireless networks window.
Caution: Make sure you don’t leave the authentication open in security key as any one may connect to your Internet and might misuse it.
18 thoughts on “Enable Internet Sharing of USB Modem in Windows 7 [Tutorial]”
It is cool……nice post….
its cool…but is there any setting to increase download speed in win7…..if yes..then email me ……. i m using usb cdma 144kb speed bsnl modem.?plz plz
Thanks for the tutorial, Vasu!
I am still waiting for the Office 2010 Tips and Tricks e-Book, though.
A great tutorial
@Garth hope u got it now.
@ha14 Thanks 🙂
This is a very descriptive and helpful tutorial. Thanks for the post!
is there any setting to increase download speed in win7…..if yes..then email me ……. i m using usb tata photon + 133kbps speed .?plz plz
I have done all these steps and created the shared network. But I am not able to connect my wifi mobiles to this network! ! How can I do that..help plzzz..
@Vasu; What about if i want to share internet on Ethernet port as i have a desktop PC and sometimes i connect Internet USB on my Win7 laptop for internet and i want to share internet using my laptop, note: my desktop PC and laptop are connected by an Ethernet Switch.
I am using vodafone usb modem to shear my internet via wifi from my laptop, to use internet on android (e-pad) will it work
Yes it should.
Please help is required, I am using windows 7 OS and trying to shear the internet via usb modem (VodaFone). I have used the above given steps its working only using local area i.e. wired connection But not with usb modem….. please help me …. my e-mail is firstname.lastname@example.org
if you can share an exact error… it can be useful to resolve the issue.
please vasu thanks for your tips and trick
I leave in Ghana and am using huewi zain modem to surf the internet
and sometime i spent alot in buying credit because am a civil engineer so i have to do alot of research
can u please help me how i can brows on the net without buying much
Can we connect wifi enabled mobiles to this network?