While using Reliance NetConnect USB Modem for my daily and official requirements, I many a times was required to work on two laptops. Having a single Internet connection could have been hindrance had it not been a feature present in Windows 7 to share the Internet.
To enable Internet Sharing of USB Modem in Windows 7, follow the steps:
2. Select the Internet access from the list available and click on Open Network & sharing Center. (You may also reach here via Control Panel)
3. From the Left side pane, select manage Wireless Networks
4.Select the Add option in the Manage Wireless Networks Window.
5. From the Manually connect to a wireless network pop up window, select Create an Ad hoc network.
6. Click next after reading details about wireless ad-hoc network.
7. Configure Ad-hoc network. Enter desired network name, security type and security key.
8. Make sure you select an encryption type. Make the security type WEP and password protect it using 5 or 13 character key.
9. Click on Turn on Internet Connection sharing to share the internet.
10. Internet Sharing is enabled. Press Okay to proceed. You have now enabled WiFi connection from your laptop available to other users.
To connect to your system’s internet one must simply locate and select the network just created and connect using the encryption security key as entered.
11. Once done, you may remove the adhoc network from Manage Wireless networks window.
Caution: Make sure you don’t leave the authentication open in security key as any one may connect to your Internet and might misuse it.